- Airport and Government inspiring local firms to export to global markets
- Initial speaker line-up includes PayPal, Funding Circle and Cathay Pacific
Gatwick Airport has once again teamed up with the Department for International Trade’s ‘Exporting is GREAT’ campaign to host a conference designed to help businesses grow internationally.
Targeted at small to medium business owners from London and the South East, ‘Take Off 2017: Growing Your Business Abroad’ will bring together a host of established exporters, government figures and support organisations to provide a mixture of practical advice and inspiration for those who are looking to expand their business to overseas markets.
Hosted by Michael Hayman MBE, co-founder of PR firm Seven Hills and co-author of ‘Mission: How the Best in Business Break Through’, delegates will enjoy a series of fast-paced speeches and interactive panel discussions as well as superb networking opportunities.
Taking place at the Hilton Gatwick Airport on Thursday 30th March, the event will focus on encouraging first-time exports, scaling up and eCommerce. Confirmed speakers so far include representatives of King of Shaves, Ridgeview Wines, Little Coffee Bag Company, the Department for International Trade, Gatwick, PayPal, Funding Circle, the Institute of Export, Norwegian Airlines and Cathay Pacific.
Expanding trade with overseas markets has never been so important and Gatwick’s recent growth, particularly to long-haul markets (up 26.8% in 2016), is playing a vital role in connecting local businesses to overseas opportunities.
Gatwick long-haul network now reaches over 50 destinations and accounted for 14 per cent of the UK’s aviation connectivity in 2016, delivering productivity benefits to the UK estimated at £1.1 billion.
Guy Stephenson, Gatwick’s Chief Commercial Officer, said:
“We are delighted to be hosting TAKE OFF once again as we recognise small businesses are the backbone of the UK economy and Gatwick is the gateway to their global markets.
At Gatwick, we are proud of our role in supporting local businesses and work hard to ensure they have affordable access to overseas markets. Our offering is all about innovation, value for money and driving efficiency, much like the early-stage businesses who will attend TAKE OFF 2017.”
To register for the free event, please visit: TAKEOFF2017.eventbrite.co.uk
- Date: Thursday 30th March 2017
Time: 0830 hrs to 1400 hrs
- Location: Hilton Gatwick Airport
About the Department for International Trade
- The Department for International Trade (DIT) has overall responsibility for promoting UK trade across the world and attracting foreign investment to our shores.
- great.gov.uk is the new single digital destination for trade and investment, bringing together and connecting UK businesses, international buyers and international investors. Whether businesses are new, occasional or frequent exporters, they will be able to take advantage of the new suite of tools and exclusive deals on fees or commissions with some of world’s leading online marketplaces.
- By registering with the find a buyer service, businesses will become part of a brand new searchable directory of UK exporters which government will use to match their products and services with worldwide demand. A new tool on great.gov.uk will help businesses access the best e-commerce opportunities via preferential deals with the world’s largest online marketplaces.
- DIT is a specialised body with significant new trade negotiating capacity, taking on the responsibilities of UK Trade & Investment, along with the relevant trade functions of the former Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. We have oversight of the Defence and Security Organisation and UK Export Finance is an integral part of DIT’s operations and strategy.
- DIT works to promote UK exports of goods and services, to support a growing economy that creates wealth for all, supports jobs and meets our wider national interests; deliver the best international trading framework for the UK outside the EU, including through building our capacity to negotiate and administer a national trade policy; and maximise opportunities for wealth creation through supporting inward Foreign Direct Investment, with a renewed focus on ODI Outward Direct Investment.
About Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Airport is the UK’s second largest airport and the most efficient single-runway airport in the world. It serves 228 destinations in 74 countries for 43 million passengers a year on short and long-haul point-to-point services. It is also a major economic driver for the South East region, generating around 21,000 on-airport jobs and a further 10,000 jobs through related activities. The airport is south of Central London with excellent public transport links, including the Gatwick Express, and is part of the Oyster contactless payment network. Gatwick Airport is owned by a group of international investment funds, of which Global Infrastructure Partners is the largest shareholder.
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Gatwick_Airport
Media enquiries to
GATWICK AIRPORT PRESS OFFICE
+ 44 (0) 1293 505000
For further information on Gatwick Airport see www.gatwickairport.com or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/Gatwick_Airport